Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. James 1:27

Thursday, September 15, 2011

But what does He want?

Wednesday - Friday
September 7-9, 2011

I stayed home Wednesday and had myself a pity party. The boys were going to Birmingham today & I didn't want to drive that far and I think I just needed a day away to get myself together. We had decided to go back on Thursday and do our final goodbyes. The girls and I would go as soon as Hayden got out of school and Bill would come up when he got off work. A lot of the families that had also been house parents came and we had a big dinner together. After dinner we went back to Centerpoint. We hung out with the boys and readied ourselves to say goodbye. They are leaving the next day for Atlanta to fly back to Ukraine. Bill and I went into Oleg's room with Katya (the interpreter). We told him we love him and we will miss him. He said he loves us too. We cry and share some very long hugs, then its time to go. We are saying the rest of our goodbyes when Darkleg steps outside onto the porch. He is crying and didn 't want the other boys to see him. Bill went out to talk with him. He was begging to go home with us, said we could hide him in the trunk of our car. Bill lost it, so I lost it too. We just cried with him and held him. Bill couldn't come back the next day b/c he had to work, but the girls and I assured Oleg we'd be back tomorrow to see him.

We finally got us all together and went to the car. On the ride home, Hayden began to share with us about her evening. She had spent most of the night with Artem. They played video games and "talked" as well as they could. Hayden said Artem cried when we were getting ready to leave. Could he be having a change a heart? Could he be considering adoption? Could he be thinking he might like to be in our family?

The boys are due to leave around 1:00 for the airport. Hope ended up staying at BridgeStone last night with Eric and his family. Hayden and I get up and start getting ready. We want to get to Centerpoint around 11 so we'll have some time to spend with the boys before they leave. Hope calls me as we're getting ready to leave and says they've moved up the time, they're leaving at 12. They have to take Sasha by the eye doctor to get his glasses adjusted before heading to Atlanta. She also says that the rules changed and something about talking with Katya and the boys. I don't quite understand what she's talking about. I think she's talking about the new rule they made Tuesday night about not talking to the boys about adoption. Hayden and I hurry and head to Centerpoint.

When we get there, the boys are finishing up their bible study. When its over they begin giving out gifts. Anton gives me a gift, a coffee mug that's just precious. Is Anton changing his heart as well? Is his gift saying he's considering adoption now?

We start loading the boys up in the van and I follow in my car to the gas station so they can fill up. Hope starts telling me again that we need Katya to talk to the boys. I ask her what she means and she says I told you earlier, you can talk to the boys now about adoption. OH! I didn't understand what she was telling me earlier. The rule had changed from Tuesday, we could talk to the boys now! Who? Had Bill and I really decided which boys we wanted to adopt? We had said Sasha, but only if Anton would agree too. We knew Darkleg, but if we took him what about Artem? How do you choose who you take and who is left in the orphanage? In that moment it hit me - I have been going about this all wrong. All this time I've been thinking which one do we want, which one would fit into our family. Not once had I asked "But what does He want?" Its funny when you get that moment of total clarity, when you realize its all been right there in front of you the whole time, all you had to do is ask Him. I rushed into the gas station. I needed to talk to Eric and Wendy. Is it true, we can talk to the boys? Yes it is. Do you know which one you want to talk to? I opened my mouth and I let God lead me. Sasha and Anton....and Oleg....and Artem.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment